Chief Sherel Martin said this morning that the fire, at 100 Shannon St., Lot 12 in Dixie Trailer Park near Patterson, began when a 5 year old set the carpet on fire in his grandmother’s room in the mobile home while playing with the lighter.
A 4 year old grandson, who had been playing in the bedroom playing with the 5 year old before the fire, informed their grandmother, Yvonne Hamilton, that her other grandson was playing with the lighter.
By the time Hamilton discovered the small fire on the carpet and returned with a pot of water, the room was involved in flames, Martin said.
Hamilton, who owned the mobile home and occupied it with Arthur Green as well as the two youngsters, evacuated the group.
The fire department was notified of the fire at 6:44 p.m., and by about 7:30 p.m. the blaze was controlled, Martin said.
The home, however, was destroyed, the chief said.
Green, 76, an acquaintance of Hamilton, was taken to a hospital as a precautionary measure because of his medical background, Martin said.
Twenty-two firemen, all Patterson personnel, responded with two pumpers and one rescue truck.
The last unit was back in service at 10:06 p.m.
Martin said the family was staying at a relative’s home this morning.
Because they lost everything, the family is in need of clothing items, underwear as well as hygiene materials.
Green’s pants size is a 34-inch waist with a 32-inch inseam. He wears large shirts.
His shoe size ranges between a size 9 and 10.
Hamilton wears a size 14 pants and shorts and a large or extra large shirt.
She wears a size 7 to 8 shoe.
The two youngsters wear a size 3 and 4 in shirts, pants and shorts.
Their shoe sizes are 9 and 10 in children’s.
For more information on their needs, call Mary Ramirez at 518-7926.
The evening fire was the third call of the day for the PVFD.
Earlier at 5:20 p.m., the department responded to a fire at a mobile home on Harry D Street, Lot 6.
Martin said the fire began when a pot was left on the stove unattended, and minor damage was suffered to the kitchen and stove areas.
Seventeen PVFD members as well as two pumpers and one rescue truck were sent to the scene.
Martin said Evelyn Young owned the home, and said she was taken to Teche Regional Medical Center after suffering complications from smoke inhalation.
All units were back in service by 6:11 p.m.
The department’s first call of the day came in at 10:24 a.m. when maintenance work ongoing at Patterson State Bank activated the facility’s fire alarm, Martin said.
The bank was evacuated temporarily but no injuries or damage to the facility were reported, the chief said.
After the building was ventilated, employees returned to work.
Two pumpers and one rescue truck were sent to the scene as well as eight PVFD personnel.
All trucks were back in service by 11 a.m.