Franklin Fire Chief Chuck Bourgeois said volunteer Zack Smith pulled a man out of a burning house on Ibert Street early this morning.
The fire department responded to a 12:01 a.m. call of a structure fire at 610 Ibert St., and arrived two minutes later to find heavy fire and smoke in the residence.
Just about a minute before the call, Smith and his uncle, Barry Jackson were driving down Ibert Street when bystanders told them there was someone trapped inside the rear bedroom of the blazing house.
Jackson forced his way through a locked rear door and crawled into the residence where he found 42-year-old Charles Parro unconscious on the floor just inside.
Jackson pulled him out of the house and dragged him to safety.
Bourgeois said two fire detectors had activated and allowed seven other people to escape the home uninjured. Parro was transported to Franklin Foundation Hospital and is reportedly in good condition.
Parro reportedly told firefighters he heard “a commotion” and tried to exit the house.
A preliminary investigation indicates the fire started in a laundry room. Firefighters, during the blaze, realized that a natural gas line had broken and was ignited, acting as a blow torch. Only after shutting off the gas were they able to get the fire under control.
Residents of the house said they had experience electrical problems in the laundry room as well. The fire is still under investigation.
Two firemen were sent to Foundation Hospital for heat exhaustion. Damage to the structure is estimated at $75,000 and $35,000 to contents.
There was also minor damage to a house on the adjoining property.
The fire was under control by 3:30 a.m.