BATON ROUGE — The chairman of the Louisiana Senate Natural Resources Committee says he favors holding a joint legislative hearing in mid-February in Assumption Parish concerning issues raised by the Napoleonville Dome sinkhole.
State Sen. Gerald Long said parish officials had asked to have it in Assumption Parish and he would like it to convene there as well.
The Assumption Parish Police Jury adopted a resolution last week asking for the joint meeting of the Senate Natural Resources Committee and the House Natural Resources and Environment Committee to be held in Pierre Part.
The sinkhole was found Aug. 3 in the swamps between Bayou Corne and Grand Bayou and prompted an evacuation of 150 nearby residents that remains in effect.
in ATV accident
NEW IBERIA — Authorities say one woman was killed and another woman injured in an all-terrain vehicle crash in Iberia Parish,
Sheriff’s Capt. Ryan Turner says a 35-year-old woman and a 34-year-old woman were riding the vehicle around 11 p.m. Saturday when they hit a culvert and were thrown from the vehicle.
Turner says the 35-year-old woman was pronounced dead at the scene by the Iberia Parish Coroner’s Office.
He said authorities are still trying to notify the woman’s family members before releasing her identity.
The 34-year-old woman was taken to a Lafayette hospital with severe injuries.
Man pleads guilty to child pornography
LAFAYETTE — A businessman from New Iberia has pleaded guilty to possessing child pornography.
Attorney General Buddy Caldwell said in a news release that 51-year-old Philip deMahy pleaded guilty Friday to 10 counts of possessing pornography involving children.
DeMahy was arrested in November after state and federal agents found child pornography on his computer.
Caldwell says deMahy, an advertising executive, pleaded guilty in front of state District Judge Charles Porter in New Iberia.
Porter set sentencing for April 4, when deMahy will face sentences of up to 10 years on each of the 10 counts.
Motorcyclist killed in B.R. crash
BATON ROUGE — An Amite man died in Baton Rouge when his motorcycle collided with a car pulling out of a private driveway.
Cpl. Tommy Stubbs said 31-year-old Edward James Poole was headed north on Scotland Avenue Saturday when a car driven by 39-year-old Lendell W. Williams backed out of a private driveway.
Stubbs says Poole was ejected from his motorcycle and sustained fatal injuries. Poole was pronounced dead at the scene.
Abbeville riverfront restaurant razed
ABBEVILLE — Some folks in Abbeville are calling it the end of an era: The Riverfront restaurant has been demolished.
Much of the building was destroyed by a fire in September. So, on Friday, it was knocked down.
The building had stood strong on the Vermilion River for decades. But the owners said the fire damage left them no choice but to demolish it. The owners, do, however, say they plan to rebuild at a different spot on the river.
Schriever man shot to death
SCHRIEVER — A Schriever man has died from gunshot wounds he suffered in what authorities suspect was a robbery attempt.
Bernard Baker, 29, was shot multiple times during an attempted robbery Friday.
A Terrebonne Parish Sheriff’s Office news release said it happened outside a trailer home in the parish.
Police said Baker passed out after he stumbled into the trailer, which was owned by people he knew. He died Saturday at Thibodaux Regional Medical Center.
The Sheriff’s Office said Baker had recently been living with relatives after having lived on the streets.
A 31-year-old Terrebonne Parish man, Derrick James, was booked with first-degree murder after the death. Police said they were searching for a second suspect — a 17-year-old.
Bogalusa blues festival gearing up
BOGALUSA — Plans for the second annual Bogalusa Blues and Heritage Festival this September have already begun.
And organizers say lead-in events are about to start.
The festival’s Mardi Gras fundraiser party is set for Feb. 8 at B&C Hall in Bogalusa.
The festival itself is set for Sept. 28 at Bogalusa’s Cassidy Park.
Police: gun fired as teens played
BATON ROUGE — A 16-year-old boy has turned himself in to Baton Rouge Police detectives in the shooting death of a 17-year-old.
Police said the juvenile turned himself in on Sunday.
Police Cpl. Tommy Stubbs said in a news release that the victim died after he was shot Saturday afternoon.
Stubbs said the victim and the 16-year-old were playing with a handgun when it discharged. The victim was hit in the back.
The victim was identified as Marcus Williams of Baton Rouge. Stubbs said the juvenile was booked into the East Baton Rouge Parish Juvenile Detention Center on one count of negligent homicide.